Iraq denounces Washington’s decision to evacuate part of the US Embassy staff

Iraq has reacted to the United States’ decision to evacuate some of its embassy staff in Baghdad.

On Wednesday, May 15, the U.S. State Department issued a statement ordering its non-essential diplomatic staff to leave the Baghdad Embassy and Consulate in Erbil.

A few hours later, the U.S. Embassy in Baghdad supported the U.S. State Department’s decision, adding that the decision was made because of the “current security conditions” in Iraq.

Immediately afterwards, Iraqi Foreign Ministry spokesman Ahmed al-Sahaf reacted to the US decision by describing the situation in his country as “stable”.

“Security conditions in Iraq are stable. We are in perfect coordination with all parties and remain committed to dialogue and a balance of power in accordance with the needs of the region. The situation in Iraq is stable and in the interests of the Iraqi nation,” said Ahmed al-Sahaf.

“The usual visa services at both posts have been temporarily suspended. The U.S. government has limited capacity to provide emergency services to U.S. citizens in Iraq,” the U.S. State Department statement said.

The American authorities have been repeating for some time that “threats have increased against US troops”.

Earlier this week, the U.S. Embassy in Baghdad advised travellers not to travel to Iraq.

US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo travelled to Baghdad this week as part of a fact-finding visit to meet with Iraqi officials.

According to Reuters, “Pompeo has asked the Iraqi government to restrict the activities of the Popular Mobilization Units”.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *